Where Past Meets Present

Jaymes Rachel

James Raychel, 8th Grade

Students at TAGOS Leadership in Academy in Janesville are creating digital journals to document changes in their personal lives, their community, the country and the world relating to COVID-19 – contributing important records during this historic time. View all posts.


When I went to Milwaukee on March 13th, I attended a celebration of life party for my grandpa. My mother’s roommate was not feeling good so we tried to stay away from her all we could and sanitize the house every day.

We all thought it could have been Coronavirus because she attended a funeral in Fond Du Lac, which had people from around the world attending, which made us think that it could have been Coronavirus.

We self-quarantined for 14 days to make sure it wasn’t Coronavirus, and then left to go back to Janesville. We have been here in Janesville since March 30th. My mom’s roommate was not able to get tested because she wasn’t sick enough to be admitted to the hospital.

It was very boring to be quarantined because all I could do was take a walk or a bike ride. The pandemic was officially declared by the WHO on the 13th.


My mother and grandma went to the store and bought enough food to last us a few weeks. They were all geared up, wearing masks and gloves.

The store was not crowded when they got there, but it soon had a lot more people come in, and some of the people were wearing masks and gloves and almost everyone was respectful of social distancing.

We have been taking precautions when taking walks, I have been taking precautions when I go on bike rides, I usually stay in the streets or on the sidewalk where there are not a lot of people.

I have been reading “A Series of Unfortunate Events” to pass the time, and I have been doing school work and playing video games. I’ve been watching a series on Netflix called “All American” at night with my mom, and were also working on putting a puzzle together called Starry Night.


My typical school day starts with me waking up at 7:30 in the morning and getting dressed. I eat something small like a bowl of cereal or a granola bar and then brush my teeth.

Around 8:30 or 9:00 I watch the morning video with my Mom and we go over the daily tasks. I have the weekly agenda pulled up and I follow it in order.

When I finish the morning advisory task I move onto the next one in the disease project that we are currently working on. Then I do an Achieve article and read a book for 20 minutes. Next, I complete an IXL Science topic and turn it in. I’ve been spending at least two hours every day working on Algebra.

Online school is not very fun and I miss seeing people every day. It seems like we’re going to be in virtual school for the rest of the school year. I don’t think virtual school is going to work for some people because they don’t have people to hold them accountable.

Even though my Mom and Grandma are annoying me a lot, I am still happy they are here to help me.

You may also like