In 1855 the Corn Exchange Block made the Franklin and West Milwaukee Streets intersection one of Janesville’s busiest. The curved façade faced a cast-iron fountain in a triangle park (not visible here).
Various stores occupied the ground floor including A. F. Krueger Meat Market at 2 N Franklin St, C. H. Gezlschap Lunch Room, City Restaurant and Metcalf & Gowdey Hardware. Just a glimpse of Silsbee Commercial College is seen to the left.
The name, Corn Exchange, came from grain, wool, hay and produce dealers who traded their goods in a building near this intersection.
4×6, 5×7, 8×10, 11×14, 16×20, 24×36