Located at 15 N. High Street, the Monterey Hotel dominates the West Milwaukee Historic District.
On August 23, 1929, the Janesville Gazette announced that its contest to name the city’s newest hotel resulted in the name “Monterey.” The Art Deco hotel opened on Lincoln’s birthday, February 12, 1930 at the south-east corner of High and West Milwaukee Streets.
A portion of this building was built in 1880 and served as the Grand Hotel. In 1930, the remodel was completed. It was designed by architect Paul Frederick Olsen of the Frank Perry Firm of Chicago.
In 1960, John and Jacqueline Kennedy stayed here while on a presidential campaign trip. It currently stands empty.
4×6, 5×7, 8×10, 11×14, 16×20, 24×36