This three-story frame structure at 115 West Milwaukee, built around 1868 as the Russell House between Academy and High Streets, was strategically located near the Corn Exchange. In 1873 German H. Davis built the three story brick addition and renamed it the Davis House.
John Kenyon leased the buildings in 1883 and changed the name to the Commercial Hotel. The frame portion burned in 1887.
Norton Williams-Grocer, B.J. Daley’s Bakery & Confectionary, and Delia Brown’s Dress & Cloak Shop were located just east of the hotel.